~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Friday, August 05, 2005

Ode to Bank of America

Since starting my new job I've been waiting for the "job part." You know, the part where you just have to grin and bear it. That hasn't happened...yet. I'm still in training so maybe it's too early to tell. But, for now.....I'm loving my job!


BofA has to be one of the absolute best employers on the planet! They realize the asset that their employees are and they treat us accordingly. Ever since I came out I have never felt "safe" at work. There was always someone who let it be known they were anti-gay and went out of their way to be vocal about it. The companies I worked for did nothing to promote a safe and comfortable workplace. BofA is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

When I went in for my Assessment I checked out the magazines on the table in the waiting area....other than big coffee table books about Washington, Montana & Idaho the only other reading material was current and back issues of Diversity, Inc. While waiting for the others to arrive I started studying the employees that walked by. I do this wherever I go...it tells you a lot about a company. In the midst of the stereotypical looking bankers were many chubbies (that right there made me more comfortable!), a tran (-vestite or -gender I don't know...I was just happy to see her and to see the acceptance surrounding her.), flamers, and a couple of women that were either "familly" or simply masculine-straight women. I was feeling right at home! I also noticed the varied ages....from kids right out of high school to folks past retirement age. What an incredibly diverse group of people! Simply watching the parade of folks heading home for the day or just arriving to work told me more about BofA than any pamphlet or video could have.

Attitude is another criteria I zone in on.....I really don't want to work somewhere full of tension and stress. The easy-going nature of the employees and the friendly ways they interacted put me at ease. Most of the folks I saw looked like they enjoyed each other and their jobs. After spending about 20 mins watching life at BofA, I knew I really wanted to work there. I wanted to be a part of what I had witnessed.

Every night when I walk into the front doors I'm thankful that I am a part of such an incredible company full of fun, caring, accepting, & diverse people. I am blessed.

4 Comments:

Blogger sandegaye declared....

Hey! You make me want to work at BofA! Maybe they'd let me visit my few sheckels I keep there.
I'm very glad that you're happy & that they are a progressive company.

8/05/2005 12:30 PM  
Blogger Manic Mom declared....

Awesome for you! Sounds like a dream job! Have fun and enjoy!

8/05/2005 7:53 PM  
Blogger Helen declared....

I hope it stays that way for you for a very long time! Congrats!
Peace

8/06/2005 2:35 PM  
Blogger Jenn declared....

Congrats! How do u find time to blog? I stated a new job too, waitress who'd have thunk thats all I could get with a college education. But it really sounds like you've got a dream come true job. Oh and I finally blogged at YA YA. thanks for the remberant on my blog! (i havn't for the record been bloggin there either.)

8/07/2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home






  • My Prolific Profile


  • Welcome
    http://bloohoo.blogspot.com

    Me

    I'm older than Rolling Stone magazine, younger than color television, bigger than a Xbox, smaller than a Winnebago, taller than a goat, shorter than a horse, wider than a parking meter, "narrower" than the Space Needle, serious as a heart attack, sillier than the tickles, smarter than the average bear, dumber than my Mom, prettier than dirt, "uglier" than a sunset, girlie as a pryncess, moves through crowds like a linebacker, anal as an accountant, laid-back as a slug, darker than white chocolate, lighter than butterscotch pudding, louder than a whisper, "quieter" than a fog horn
    More Me
  • Reading, Writing & Ruminations
  • Baby Pics
  • 100 Things

  • Past Thunks

    Hunny Pot

    Bloggin' Buds
    Visitors


    Marriage Equality
    I support
    ALL Americans'
    civil right to marry!


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    Worthy Charities


    Beezy Stuff

    Powered by Blogger

    Get Firefox!



    Love Lives Here



    No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome at the United Church of Christ.

    Sadly, NBC & CBS choose not to air our ad of inclusiveness.

    View The Ad

    Take Action

    Blog

    Template by Kat
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed
    under a
    Creative Commons License